The German federal prosecution is examining allegations of sexism at the world-famous Bayreuth Festival, a spokesperson for the Bayreuth federal prosecutor's office said on Wednesday, reported dpa.
"The investigation has been initiated due to reports in the media," the spokesperson said, adding that it is not investigating specific individuals at this point.
Last week, a local newspaper published anonymous reports by a number of women regarding sexual harassment and offensive remarks they had endured at the festival.
The internationally renowned festival takes place annually in the Bavarian city of Bayreuth at the opera house designed by 19th century German composer Richard Wagner. The festival is a celebration of his work.
Katharina Wagner, the chief organizer of the festival, confirmed that she has also been affected by sexist remarks and abuse.
She told dpa that she had experienced "sexual remarks and, in a certain form, actions as well," but that she had known how to deal with them and had "acted very, very firmly."
Nonetheless, she said she was "shocked" at the reports. Chairman of the organizing committee Georg von Waldenfels also said that the allegations will be investigated seriously and thoroughly, calling the alleged actions "horrible."
The festival opened with a new staging of the opera "Tristan and Isolde" on Monday.